Waiting Room in Super Smash Flash 2.
|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
|Appearance||Super Smash Flash 2|
|Home stage for|
|Unlock criteria||Play any Group match with Sandbag participating.|
Waiting Room is an unlockable stage in Super Smash Flash 2 based on the Online Practice Stages from the Super Smash Bros. games. Much like this stage, it is primarily used before an online match begins for the player to fight a motionless Sandbag while waiting for other players. However, it can also be played as a selectable stage, in which it serves as the home stage for the playable Sandbag.
Originally, it took its design from the Online Practice Stage from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and replaced the two Test Stages in v0.5a of the demo, but it was removed in v0.9a because of its similarities with Final Destination and was replaced by the similarly-structured Nintendo 3DS. The stage was reintroduced with a new custom look for v0.9b when Online was first implemented but was not selectable for regular matches. This changed with the release of the Beta version, which once again made it a select stage with minor modifications.
This stage consists of a large, floating black and gray platform in space with a large planet above it in the background. The platform contains a scrolling black banner directly below the edge of it facing the screen that repeatedly displays, "Please Wait..." in capital letters that transition between the colors of the rainbow. There is also a couch on each sideline of the platform in the background and a Sandbag on top of each one, with the left Sandbag occasionally blinking and the right Sandbag lying down and sleeping. There are two floating monitors on opposite ends of the stage that both display the SSF2 logo.
Depending on the date set in the computer's internal clock, the Waiting Room's appearance may change to fit a commemorative motif corresponding to the actual month. Currently, there are only two motifs available: the Halloween theme during the month of October and the Christmas theme during the month of December. A St. Patrick's Day motif was shared by McLeodGaming on their Facebook page, but it is currently unavailable.
- The main music track is the self-titled Waiting Room, a short chiptune remix of the main theme of Super Smash Flash 2.
- The alternate music track is Menu (NES Mix), an 8-bit remix of the main theme.
Waiting Room functions identically to Final Destination with minimal differences. As such, it is banned in favor of the latter. However, Waiting Room is still playable in tournaments through the Modified Gentleman's Clause, in which Waiting Room and Nintendo 3DS may be agreed upon by both players in addition to legal stages.
As stated, Waiting Room is based on the Online Practice Stages from the official Super Smash Bros. series. The modern design of this stage is original to SSF2, and it appears to be based on the design of the main menu, which was designed by Jamal Ransaw and introduced in v0.9 of the demo. The planet it lies beneath is most likely the same one that is shown in the background of the menu, and the stage itself utilizes the same color scheme as the menu borders and main navigational buttons.
- The couches that appear on this stage are based on the couch that former developer CR Ya Dad Drake used to play on during "Ya Dad's Super Smash Flash 2 Livestream!", in which it would be visible throughout each livestream. However, Ya Dad has since replaced his couch.
- Prior to Beta, the stage featured only one couch. This was changed to make the stage more symmetrical.
- In v0.9b, along with earlier builds of Beta, the stage contained walls on its platform extending to the lower blast line. However, it was later changed to be a floating stage, essentially becoming a reskin of the Online Practice Stages from the Super Smash Bros. games.
- Prior to Beta 1.1, the scrolling text on the stage's banner was only red.