|This article/section is outdated.
This may contain traces of some old data and statistics and requires an urgent update. You can help the McLeodGaming Wiki by updating it.
- This article is about Sonic's appearance in Super Smash Flash 2. For general information about the character, see Sonic the Hedgehog.
|Sonic the Hedgehog |
in Super Smash Flash 2
Sonic's official pixel art.
|Final Smash||Super Sonic|
Sonic is a veteran starter character in Super Smash Flash 2. Unlike the Super Smash Bros. games, he is not the only representative of the Sonic franchise — he is joined by his sidekick Tails. Most of his moveset is taken directly from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and his voice clips also come from said game. His sprites are based on his modern appearance, which includes Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World.
Sonic is currently ranked 33rd out of 40 on the tier list, placing him in the C- tier. Sonic has fast attacks, useful techniques, decent combo ability, a good grab game and KO moves in his forward smash, up aerial, and back aerial, and Light Dash. Sonic also has great ground mobility, having the fastest dashing speed in the game and a fast walking speed. To top it off, Sonic has an good recovery game with multiple options in Spring Jump, Homing Attack, and Light Dash.
However, Sonic has lackluster range in the majority of his attacks. Additionally, his moves lack a lot of priority, making him vulnerable to characters with disjointed hitboxes (ex. Meta Knight and Ichigo) or characters with high priority. He lacks a projectile, and because of this and reliable ways to deal with them especially projectiles that are high in priority or transcendent. Sonic may have problems KO'ing his opponents due to having few KO moves.
- See also: Sonic (Super Smash Flash 2)/Hard data
Sonic has the best ground mobility in the game with possessing the fastest dash and one of the fastest walk speeds. He has KO moves in his Forward smash, back aerial, up aerial and Light Dash.
Sonic has a decent grab and throw game, possessing one of the longest grabs in the game. His up throw is useful for setting up combos, while also being a chain grab on fast and high fallers. His down throw can be a potential chain grab.
However, the majority of his attacks have short range, which makes it hard to approach characters with disjointed hitboxes such as Marth, Ichigo and Sora and requires him to stay close to his opponent at all times, providing extra risks. He has a hard time dealing with projectiles that his neutral aerial cannot out-prioritize, like those with transcendent priority (ex. Bomberman's bombs).
He has KO moves in forward tilt, forward smash, down smash, back aerial, up aerial, up throw, back throw and Light Dash.
Sonic's combo game is below average, which prevents him from racking up a lot of damage like other characters. Sonic is also a medium weight and an above average faller, which makes him easy to combo.
His recovery is only average at best now, with Spring Jump covering little vertical distance. Light Speed Dash only covers little horizontal distance and little vertical distance, although it can be angled to sweet spot the ledge. Homing Attack needs to be used to help Sonic recover vertically and horizontally in order to gain any distance.
|Standard attack||The Punch + Punch + Kick from Sonic the Fighters. Has jab lock capabilities.||7%|
|Down tilt||Slides his feet forward while ducking. This move has upwards set-knockback.||9%|
|Down smash||Does a split kick.||13%|
|Forward tilt||Does a mule kick.||8%|
|Forward smash||Does a wind-up punch.||15%|
|Up tilt||Kicks upwards out in front of him twice.||4%, 7%|
|Up smash||Spin pops into the air, ripping out multiple hits and then coming down.||12%|
|Dash attack||Spin Roll. Sonic curls into a ball.||6%, 6%; 12%|
|Neutral aerial||Insta-Shield. Curls into a ball and spins in place. Two hits.||7%, 7%; 14%|
|Forward aerial||A fast front-flip kick, based on the "Sonic Eagle" from Sonic Battle. Has a sweetspot at the heel which can meteor smash||12%; 10%|
|Back aerial||Sticks his leg out forward, then kicks out backwards behind him.||14%|
|Up aerial||Does an upwards scissor kick. Two hits.||7%, 8%; 15%|
|Down aerial||Downwards rocket kick.||9%|
|Grab||Reaches both hands out to grab.||N/A|
|Forward throw||Kicks opponent forward. Good to set up an edgeguard.||10%|
|Back throw||Back flips multiple times then kicks opponent midair, a powerful throw.||11%|
|Up throw||Throws opponent in the air, and stabs them with his quills, can lead to a lot of follow ups.||9%|
|Down throw||Charges a Spin dash on the opponent.||10%|
|Ledge attack||Quickly spins onto stage then retreats.||7%|
|Floor attack||A sweeping kick to both sides.||8%|
|Standard special move||Homing Attack||Curls into a ball and homes in on the nearest opponent.||8%|
|Side special move||Light Dash||Dashes forward at a high speed, damaging opponents on his way. Can be angled up or down.||5%|
|Up special move||Spring Jump||Bounces high into the air off a spring he leaves behind.||6%|
|Down special move||Spin Dash||Curls into a ball from and starts rolling forward, damaging opponents on his way.||5%|
|Final Smash||Super Sonic||Transforms into his super form, allowing him to fly and damage opponents on contact.||18%|
|On-screen appearance||Sonic jumps onto the stage in ball form from the foreground.|
|Taunts||Standard||Sonic does a front flip and poses, tutting.|
|Side||Sonic runs in place and then faces the camera taunting, "You're too slow!".|
|Down||Sonic breakdances, exclaiming, "Come on, step it up!".|
|Idle pose||Puts his hands on his hips, looks at the screen, and taps his foot anxiously.|
|Victory theme||Remix of Act Clear theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.|
|Victory pose||Runs onto screen and gives a thumbs-up, saying "Sonic's the name, speed's my game!".|
|Lose||Claps to the winner while smiling.|
Changes from v0.9b
Sonic has received a mix of buffs and nerfs. Sonic has gained buffs in that he has more KO power, his once great recovery has been somewhat restored and the changes to priority has helped him. Sonic has gained a lot from his move set from his appearance in "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U". The changes to priority have helped Sonic in allowing him to stand against the rest of the cast.
- Sonic has received custom made sprites that resembles his appearance in recent games from Sonic Lost World to "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U".
- Dash attack is now a multi-hit and has a flying kick at the end, making it better at tech-chasing and punishing.
- Forward tilt has more range.
- Down tilt is now a low sweep.
- Forward smash appears to be stronger and has more range.
- Sonic has received a new down smash, where he does a split kick. It has less range then his old smash attack, but its faster and stronger.
- Forward aerial has been changed to a heel kick that meteor smashes and is faster then his old forward aerial.
- Neutral aerial is faster and deals vertical knockback, which allows it to start or extend combos.
Grab and throws
- Up throw is stronger and can kill around 140% to 160%.
- Down throw now pops opponents into the air, allowing for combos to start.
- Spring Jump now gains significant vertical distance.
- Light Dash can now travel in 3 directions and covers a bit more distance.
- Bounce Attack was removed, this gives Sonic one less meteor smash and he no longer has a move to instantly sweet spot the ledge.
In competitive play
Tier placement history
In tier lists for demo v0.6; Sonic was seen as a top tier character ranking 3rd of B tier on the first list and 1st of S tier on the second list. In demo v0.7; Sonic was seen as a high-top tier character where he ranked 6th of B tier on the first list and 4th of A tier on the second list. In demo v0.8b; Sonic had his worst tier position yet where he ranked 19th of K tier and was seen as a bottom tier character. However, in demo v0.9a; Sonic would once again make his way back into the top tiers where he ranks 1st of S tier and he was once again seen as the best character in a demo. In demo v0.9b, Sonic dropped to 20th of B tier where he was seen as a mid tier character. However, the changes in the metagame showed that Sonic was really less effective then originally thought and he dropped down to 27th of C tier on the second tier list of demo v0.9b, where he is seen as a bottom tier character again.
|This article/section may require some new images.
Whether it is a new image or simply a higher quality update, upload the new file and add it into the article.
- Sonic, along with Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, Marth, Falco, Isaac, Black Mage, and Mega Man are the only characters, so far, who wear their default costumes in team battle when they are on the blue team.
- Sonic is the first character so far to be 1st on a tier list twice (demos v0.6 and v0.9a respectively). The second was Meta Knight.
- He is also the first character to rise from the "Kirby tier" directly into S tier during the transition from demo v0.8b to v0.9a.
- If the player is using the 3rd color palette for Sonic and then uses his Final Smash, instead of using his original Final Smash (Super Sonic) he would resemble Hyper Sonic from Sonic 3 & Knuckles instead.
- Sonic's first pixel art is based on a victory pose he makes in Brawl. His second pixel art resembles the position he takes before performing his up smash.