In Super Smash Flash 2, ledge options are different methods that characters can use when hanging on a ledge. These techniques are absent from the first Super Smash Flash as ledges did not exist in the game and as such, could not be grabbed.
Once the invincibility frames gained from grabbing a ledge expire, it is usually prudent to get up off the edge and return to the stage. Ledge options makes players think on their toes on what's the best course of action to take. This can be done in a variety of ways (see below).
Types of ledge recoveries
- Climb: By pushing towards the ledge, a character will simply climb up onto the stage with no flair.
- Attack: By pressing the attack button, a character will climb up onto the stage while attacking. This is intended to protect against enemies who are edge-guarding (if applicable).
- Roll: By pressing the shield button, a character will climb up and roll forward a short distance, typically enough to reach the other side of an attacker.
- Jump: By pressing a jump button or pushing the up or jump control, a character will leap upwards and slightly forward. However, this move does not give a character invincibility frames.
- Let go: By pushing away from the ledge, a character will let go of the edge and fall in the direction of the key pressed. This may seem counterproductive at first, but it is useful if a character wishes to double jump and then air dodge, which is a useful alternative to jumping in a few cases. Also, depending on the character, midair jumping and using an aerial attack can be faster than using the recovery attack.
- Fastfall: By pressing the down button, a character will let go and fall downward and make the character fast fall. This could be used for stalling, by fastfalling and then using one's recovery to get back.
Ledge recovery attack
Ledge recovery attacks moves that characters can use when hanging from a ledge. Every character possesses a ledge recovery attack, which often grants invincibility frames. Ledge attacks can be used to clear the ledge of edgeguarders, and assure a safe recovery.
List of ledge recovery attacks
|Bandana Dee||Climbs up, then stabs forward with his spear.||6%|
|Black Mage||Pokes his staff in front of himself.||8%|
|Bomberman||Climbs up, then kicks forward with both feet while sitting.||6%|
|Bowser||Sweeps in front of him with his claw.||8%|
|Captain Falcon||Flips onto the ledge while doing a fastkick.||8%|
|Chibi-Robo||Climbs up, then thrusts his plug forward.||7%|
|Donkey Kong||Jumps straight forward on the stage, back-first.||8%|
|Falco||Climbs up, then does a drop kick with both feet.||8%|
|Fox||Climbs up, then does a drop kick with both feet.||8%|
|Goku||Climbs up, then does a double-axe handle punch in an arc.||8%|
|Ichigo||Rolls up, then does a quick slash with Zangetsu.||8%|
|Isaac||Rolls up, then swipes with his hand.||7%|
|Jigglypuff||Climbs up, then punches forward.||6%|
|Kirby||Rolls up, then brings his foot down from an upside-down position.||6%|
|Krystal||Kicks opponents as she climbs up.||8%|
|Link||Climbs up, then does a low slash with the Master Sword while crouching.||8%|
|Lloyd||Rolls up, then swings a sword overhead.||10%|
|Luffy||Climbs up, then low-kicks around him.||8%|
|Luigi||Climbs up in a cartwheel, then kicks forward with both legs.||5%|
|Mario||Jumps up and kicks with one foot.||5%|
|Marth||Flips onto the stage, then does a low slash with the Falchion.||4%|
|Mega Man||Climbs up, then swings his foot in front of him.||10%|
|Meta Knight||Climbs up, then does a quick overhead slash with Galaxia.||8%|
|Mr. Game & Watch||Climbs up, then swings a bell in front of him.||5%|
|Naruto||Climbs up, then does a spinning backward hook kick.||7%|
|Ness||Climbs up, then does a low kick in front of him.||8%|
|PAC-MAN||Climbs up, then sweeps in front of him with his foot.||7%|
|Peach||Jumps forward hip-first.||6%|
|Pichu||Rolls up with a foot sticking out.||8%|
|Pikachu||Rolls up, then kicks in front of him.||8%|
|Pit||Climbs up, then does a low kick forwards.||7%|
|Rayman||Does a cartwheel as he climbs back up, kicking the opponent in the process.||5%|
|Samus||Rolls up in Morph Ball form, then swings her arm cannon downwards.||7%|
|Sheik||Climbs up, then does a sweep kick with one leg.||6%|
|Simon||Kicks opponents as he climbs back up.||8%|
|Sonic||Quickly spins onto the stage and then retreats.||7%|
|Sora||Climbs up, then thrusts his Keyblade forward.||3%|
|Tails||Climbs up, then does a low kick forwards.||5%|
|Wario||Climbs up, then swipes his hand in front of him.||6%|
|Yoshi||Climbs up, then sweeps his tail in front of himself.||6%|
|Zelda||Climbs up, then kneels on the ground and sticks a leg out in front of her.||8%|
|Zero Suit Samus||Climbs up, then thrusts her forearm forward.||7%|
- Prior to Beta, certain characters would be able to perform a slower, often stronger ledge attack after exceeding 100% damage, much like in official Super Smash Bros. games. For unknown reasons, this feature was removed, much like it was in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- Sandbag is the only character in SSF2 who cannot grab ledges at all.