Classic, more commonly called Classic mode, is a Solo game mode in Super Smash Flash and Super Smash Flash 2 in which the player fights in a series of battles, one after the other, while also participating on bonus rounds and culminating with a fight against Master Hand.
The player can set and raise the difficulty level for Classic before starting: on lower difficulties, opponents are mild and will barely attack the player, additionally, their attacks will be weaker; on high difficulties, opponents will become more resilient and be more aggressive towards the player, conversely, their attacks will be stronger. Master Hand's HP during the final fight also depends on the difficulty selected. There are five difficulty levels in SSF: Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard; these have been reduced to four in SSF2: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Insane.
Clearing Classic with a specific character or under a specific difficulty will reward the player in a certain way if the conditions were met.
In Super Smash Flash
There is a total of eight levels in Classic, it consists of five regular stages, two bonus stages and a final boss stage.
|1||Sonic the Hedgehog||A 1-on-1 battle where the player has to defeat either Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, or Super Sonic.|
|2||Super Mario Bros.||A team battle of 2 vs. 2 where the player has to defeat Mario and Luigi. The teammate is always Samus.|
|3||Bonus stage 1:|
Break the Targets
|The player has to destroy all 8 targets before the time runs out.|
|4||The Legend of Zelda||A 1-on-1 battle where the player has to defeat either Link, Zelda, Sheik or Young Link.|
|5||Team Kirby||The player has to defeat 15 Kirbys (three Kirbys with five stocks each).|
|6||Bonus stage 2:|
Race to the Finish!
|The player has to reach the end of the level by jumping from platform on platform while avoiding Buzzers.|
|7||Random Melee!||A Multi-Man battle where the player has to defeat 12 Silhouettes.|
|8||Final Destination||The player has to defeat the final boss Master Hand.|
- Mr. Incredible: Complete Classic with all 13 starter characters, then beat him in a match.
- Super Sonic: Complete Classic with Sonic on any difficulty without using any continues, then beat him in a match.
- Young Link: Complete Classic with Link on any difficulty, then beat him in a match.
In Super Smash Flash 2
Classic was confirmed during the second McLeodGaming Direct, retaining many elements from previous iterations of Classic mode. It includes ten levels in all, seven regular stages, two bonus stages and a final boss stage.
|1||1-on-1||A 1-on-1 match where the player has to defeat a single CPU-controlled opponent.|
|2||Team battle 1||A 2 vs. 2 team battle where the player has to defeat two opponents with the aid of an ally.|
|3||Giant battle||A 3 vs. 1 match where the player has to defeat a giant-sized opponent with the aid of two allies.|
|4||Bonus stage 1:|
|In one of the four randomly selected levels, the player has to destroy all 10 targets before the time runs out.|
|5||Team battle 2||A 2 vs. 1 team battle where the player is alone and has to defeat two opponents.|
|6||Free-for-all||A free-for-all match where the player has to fight against other three opponents on a randomly selected stage.|
|7||Bonus stage 2:|
|The player has to destroy a determined number of crystals before the time runs out, the amount of them varies according to the level, the higher the difficulty, the more crystals the player will have to destroy.|
|8||Multi-Man Smash!||A Multi-Man battle where the player has to defeat 20 Silhouettes.|
|9||Metal battle||A battle against a metallic opponent. On lower difficulties, the match is a 1-on-1 against a randomly selected opponent; on higher difficulties, the match is a 2 vs. 1 team battle against the Metal Bros..|
|10||Master Hand||The player has to defeat the final boss Master Hand.|
- Sandbag: Complete Classic using a random character on Normal difficulty or higher without using continues, then beat it in a match.
- Hyrule Castle: Complete Classic with Link, Zelda, or Sheik on Normal difficulty or higher without using any continues.
- Metal Cavern: Complete Classic on Hard difficulty or higher with any character, without using any continues.
- Mushroom Kingdom: Complete Classic for the first time.
- Saffron City: Complete Classic with Jigglypuff on any difficulty.
Super Smash Flash
Super Smash Flash 2
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 These characters will appear only if they have already being unlocked.
- ↑ Given the note above, the player can only fight the Mario Bros. if Luigi has been unlocked. If not, it is a 2 vs. 1 battle against Mario.
- ↑ Crazy Hand does not appear in this mode regardless of the difficulty selected and the time employed to reach the final stage in this mode, even if Master Hand's HP has been depleted by half. He is reserved for Adventure mode only.
- ↑ As of this build, Crazy Hand is yet to appear in Classic.
- It was originally planned for Classic in SSF2 to have a new feature called the "Peril Roulette". As seen in the second McLeodGaming Direct, this feature would have given advantages to the opponent or handicaps to the player, depending on the difficulty setting.
- ↑ McLeodGaming Forums – SSF2 Beta Developer Q&A Thread - PLEASE READ THE OP! Retrieved on December 21, 2017